To help continue your Pilates practice away from the studio, I’m live-streaming classes online via Zoom on Mondays 1800 to 1900, Tuesdays 1000 to 1100, Wednesdays 1900 to 2000 and Fridays 0930 to 1030. The cost is £6.50 per person.
The online Pilates classes are suitable for participants who:
- are over 16.
- have a basic level of Pilates knowledge and experience.
- are deemed fit and healthy enough to exercise.
- are not pregnant.
- are not based in the US or Canada.
The Monday evening class is a small equipment Pilates class dedicated to working exclusively with the small ball and foam roller. This session is not suitable for anyone with osteoporosis or osteopenia.
The Tuesday morning class is a more rehabilitative Pilates class and as such a bit less physically demanding with the emphasis more on beginner, improver and intermediate level exercises. It is open to everyone to attend.
The Wednesday evening and Friday morning sessions are general Pilates classes, which are not suitable for anyone with osteoporosis or osteopenia. These evening and morning classes feature exercises from across the repertoire from beginner to advanced.
To try an online session, please head to the Book a Class page. If you haven’t done Pilates with me before, you can request a copy of the How-To Guide to the Pilates Method to help you get the most from the session. If you are a complete beginner I offer one-to-one Pilates classes online to help you master the basics before joining a group session.
Once you have booked and paid, I will send you a booking confirmation email with a link to register with Zoom for the class. In this email I will ask you to reply with details of any health issues, injuries or niggles that may affect you exercising. Knowing this before the class will help me suggest, where possible, any general adaptations or alternatives to exercises that may be useful.
After I’ve approved your registration, you’ll receive an automated email from Zoom with a link unique to you, which only you can use to access that particular class on that day.
On the day and nearing the time of your class, just click on the Zoom link to join the session. That’s it. You don’t need any kind of account with Zoom to take part in the classes. You will need to download the Zoom app from the App Store before the class if you plan to use a tablet or Zoom Client for Meetings if you intend to use a laptop.
The online classes are a very different experience to my small, interactive, studio-based sessions where I provide lots of tailored corrections, adaptations and alternative exercises.
What to expect from the online Pilates classes
- During the class you can see and hear me but I can’t see or hear you. Obviously this means I’m unable to provide advice and corrections specific to you and what you’re doing.
- I will be doing the exercises along with you so you can refer to your screen at regular intervals if necessary to check you’re doing things correctly.
- Where possible I will suggest some general adaptations and alternatives that might be more appropriate for certain people.
- The class is not recorded. It happens in real-time then is gone forever.
What you will need to get the most from the session
- A laptop or tablet. You could use a smartphone but I wouldn’t recommend it. Too small. A laptop is best as it’s easier to angle the screen for the best view.
- A room that isn’t cold where you will have minimal distraction for the duration of the session.
- Enough space to be able to lie on you back with your arms and legs outstretched then sweep your arms round and back to your sides without hitting anything.
- A thick Pilates mat or a bath towel on a thick rug or carpet.
- A 2.5cm and a 5cm head block or a couple of cushions.
- A small Pilates ball and a foam roller are required for the small equipment class and useful but not essential to have for the rehabilitative and general Pilates classes.
See my Pilates at Home news item for details of where to buy suggested items of kit online.
Frontline NHS workers are invited to join one of my online Pilates classes for free. Just indicate on the booking form that you are applying for your free place and I’ll arrange this for you.