- Melissa qualified as a Pilates teacher in March 2003 after a year’s intensive training at The Place, the London Contemporary Dance School.
- The course was accredited by the Pilates Foundation, one of the UK’s leading Pilates teacher training providers. Melissa is a full member of the Pilates Foundation.
- Melissa is a registered teacher with the Society for the Pilates Method (SPM). The SPM is an alliance of the UK’s leading Pilates training providers. It works to protect the reputation and integrity of the Pilates Method through the knowledge, skills, and passion of its registered teachers, providing them with leading-edge educational programmes throughout their career.
- To maintain her Pilates Foundation and SPM accreditation year-on-year Melissa undertakes continuing professional development training courses and workshops.
- Pilates teachers sometimes talk about how many degrees of separation they are from Joseph Pilates. Melissa’s Pilates teacher training course was led by three women who were taught by Alan Herdman, the man who trained with two of Joseph Pilates’ principal apprentices, Carola Trier and Bob Fitzgerald in the US. Herdman subsequently brought the Pilates Method to the UK. With just a few degrees of separation from the founding father, Melissa teaches the Pilates Method as Joseph Pilates intended.
- She has a Ph.D in the field of client relationship management, a Masters degree in Business Administration and a post-graduate Diploma in Management Studies.
- Melissa has two CYQ qualifications: Principles of Fitness, Health and Nutrition – Level 2; Anatomy and Physiology – Level 3.
- Between 2005-2013, she provided Pilates tuition to individuals and businesses based in London.
- Her practice now provides Pilates tuition to clients across the UK.
- She works in collaboration with physiotherapists, osteopaths, chiropractors and other health professionals where necessary to provide continuity and compatibility of care.
“For another quid we could’ve had Lulu.” – Eric Morecambe
Melissa: Did you visit me in my Killingworth, CT studio. in 2015 or 2016?A new client of mine has found a photo taken of me in that rustic studio which came from your studio. Would that have been you or a teacher from your staff.? My web-director wants the original print of that photo to be able to reproduce it well. Funny request to you isn’t it..all the way from the U.S.? …I am so interested in looking at you web-site. I wish I were in England and could drop by personally In support of all you are doing.
Mary Bowen, most senior Pilates Elder still teaching who studied six and a half years, twice a week with Joe and Clara themselves. 58 years now of living Pilates. 42 years of teaching it. 22 years of combining my profession also as a Jungian psychoanalyst with Pilates, without intention, addressing the whole person, conscious and unconscious in Pilates work. Pilates Plus Psyche.
Hope to meet you Melissa, for the first time or again if we have ever met.
Hi Mary. Lovely to hear from you. Thank you for getting in touch. I just found the picture of you on the internet. I don’t have the original print, I’m afraid. We have met once, very briefly when you did a workshop and question and answer session at the Pilates Foundation AGM and training weekend a few years ago. It was a wonderful opportunity to learn from your great wealth of experience as a teacher and psychoanalyst, and to hear your stories about Joe and Clara. Thank you again.