Here’s a recipe for a hand sanitiser I’ve been making at home that’s strong on germs (antibacterial, antiseptic, antifungal) and kind on hands with the added bonus of an essential oil blend aromatherapists recommend for boosting the immune system (antiviral).
Mix together the following then spoon into an empty, thoroughly clean pump bottle:
- 200ml of aloe vera gel for its soothing, moisturising and restoring properties
- one tablespoon of witch hazel, a natural, non-drying cleanser
- a quarter of a teaspoon of vitamin E oil for added moisture
- half a teaspoon of tea tree essential oil for its antibacterial properties
- 3 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- 4 drops of lemon essential oil
- 4 drops of niaouli essential oil
Aloe vera gel, witch hazel and vitamin E oil are all readily available to buy online. My advice would be to buy the purest form (i.e. additive-free) of each that you can.
I now buy my essential oils from Fairyland Aromatics in Glastonbury. They use 100% pure ingredients of high grade, therapeutic quality and avoid the addition of unnecessary additives. As such they are infinitely better quality than those supplied by online high street chains.
If you’re looking for a recipe for a home-made multi-purpose surface cleaner, here‘s the one we use in the Pilates studio to clean the mats and other equipment.
To close, here’s my go-to cleaning song from Ani DiFranco…
PS. The beautiful metal gloves in the image at the top are by Lory Sun.