I am often asked what socks I recommend to do Pilates in. My answer every time is toe socks, and not just when you come to class. I wear them most days. Why? In the same way it’s hard to use your fingers when you wear mittens, it is also very difficult to use your toes properly in conventional socks.
Below is a slightly corny video highlighting the benefits of toe socks. For those who like a corn-free, bulleted list, here you go…
Why Toe Socks Are Good For You
- the separation of the toes brings greater awareness of the feet. In other words, it helps your brain talk to your feet better and move them correctly;
- using our toes and feet more effectively promotes good posture and improves balance;
- being able to move the toes more freely improves the circulation in the feet and as a result, helps them keep warm better and naturally;
- toe socks help prevent the growth of bacteria, which can lead to unpleasant odours, Athlete’s Foot and other fungus related problems;
- separation of the toes helps to avoid friction between them and the blisters that can result.
Unfortunately, toe socks can be much more expensive than regular socks. For this reason I’ve bought a stock of them, which are now available to buy at below the recommended retail price. I’ve chosen the brand of socks I wear most days and have done for many years, so they’re well-tested.
I have stripy turquoise socks (see image of the actual sock at the top of the page) and plain black ones (actual sock shown in the photo below).
The toe socks are:
- very stretchy ensuring a good fit for sizes UK 4-11, EU 35-46;
- made from 90% cotton and 10% elastane;
- machine washable just like conventional socks (at 30°C with like colours);
- thin enough to fit into all types of shoe;
- easy to put on;
- seam-free for greater comfort.
The cost per pair from me is £6.50. The usual recommended retail price including postage would be £8.25 so a decent saving.
I’ve chosen toe socks without a grip sole because in class we do a lot of sliding of the feet along the mat. I’ve found that grip soles tend to inhibit this movement and in some instances, make the socks come off.
For those that would like the benefit of toe socks but with extra grip for certain exercises, e.g. balances in standing, I have in stock Pilates cover socks available to buy too. I sometimes wear these over my toe socks, for warmth as much as the extra grip. Lots of people wear their Pilates cover socks on their own. Here’s what they look like…
They normally retail at £12 per pair. I have a limited stock of the slate grey ones (actual sock shown in the pictures above and below) available for £8. Deal!
The Pilates cover socks are:
- one size;
- made of a soft, sweat-wicking cotton blend;
- grip panel on the sole;
- low-cut heel and toe with cross strap across the foot;
- machine washable (at 40°C with like colours).
Want to buy a pair? Two easy options. You can buy the socks from me when you come to class. To secure a pair, you might want to contact me before the class and I will put the socks aside for you. Alternatively, if you’re Clevedon-based, you can contact me to arrange to pay online and I’ll deliver the socks to your home within 24 hours of purchase.
To close, here’s Little Feat, Emmylou Harris and Bonnie Raitt…yes, I’m really spoiling you…